XENOPHOBIA, AFROPHOBIA, CRIMINALITY
Black consciousness? Intolerant, Destructive, Hate, Unforgiving, Disrespectful Where is Ubuntu?
Durban – A tit-for-tat xenophobic war could erupt across sub-Saharan Africa if the government acted on the wishes of King Goodwill Zwelithini and deported foreigners living and working in South Africa.
“ As the xenophobic unrest continues to spread in Durban, King Goodwill Zwelithini has castigated the media for “distorting” his comments that foreigners should leave the country. This is an audio clip taken during the king’s speech three weeks ago in Pongola, KwaZulu-Natal in which he said in isiZulu that foreigners must go back to their countries.”
Durban – King Goodwill Zwelithini has accused Home Affairs Minister Malusi Gigaba of being carried away by his “five-year” political power and thinking he is a demigod. Although there was no mention of names, it became clear that the king was referring to Gigaba when he spoke in KwaMaphumulo on Saturday. Addressing displaced foreigners in Durban on Thursday night, Gigaba called on leaders – also apparently referring to the king – to refrain from using inflammatory statements.
“All our leaders in the country have a responsibility to use words to build and not to destroy,” The Independent on Saturday reported Gigaba as saying.
Gigaba, Police Minister Nathi Nhleko and State Security Minister David Mahlobo have been assigned by President Jacob Zuma to work with the KwaZulu-Natal provincial government to halt the xenophobic attacks storming the eThekwini area.
Gigaba was referring to a speech the king made in Pongola last month when he allegedly called for the deportation of foreigners. The king has flatly denied that he called for foreigners to be expelled.
He said on Saturday: “Labaholi bangakhulumi engathi salusa ndawonye. (These leaders should not act as if we herded cattle together.)
“I ask political leaders that we should respect each other. Democracy should not make them feel like demigods. Although everyone has a right to comment about ubukhosi (kingship) I will not allow myself to be insulted by people who think because of five years, which was given to them at the mercy of voters, they are now demigods who should be praised.
“I wish that politicians who comment on what I said in Pongola should do so with knowledge. They should ask Police Minister Nhleko about what I had said, as I was there on his invitation. A person should not comment just because he is standing in front of microphones and cameras.”
The media was not spared the king’s wrath. He accused newspaper companies of twisting his speech, which has been linked to outbreaks of xenophobic violence in various parts of Durban, in order to create controversy that would boost sales.
“I warn the media not to burn the country because when it is burning they will run to hide underneath their mothers’ skirts. They will hide,” the king said.
He that said instead of calling for foreigners to leave the country, South Africans should take their tools and till the land to produce food. He repeatedly said the media had reported lies about what he had said when he had addressed a moral regeneration event in Pongola.
The king was addressing hundreds of people in Maphumulo during the induction of Inkosi Sphamandla Hlongwa.
“To boost the sales and profit of newspapers they must find lies. As they are here (in Maphumulo), they are following me to listen to the little that I have to say.
“To tell the truth, they are the ones who are causing us to kill each other. They don’t love us. They are worse than the apartheid regime.
LET TAKE NOTE THAT THE RWADAN’S GENOCIDE STARTED FROM A SIMPLE SPEECH RTLM (Radio Télévison des Milles Collines) AND TOOK 100 DAYS OF SLAUGHTERING
From small towns to Durban’s CBD became the focal point of clashes between police, foreigners and locals, with a car set alight, stun grenades and tear gas canisters being fired.
More than 1,000 mainly African migrants have fled their homes, some going to police stations and other are being housed in tents on a sports field.
SOUTH African police struggled to get a grip on rampaging mobs attacking foreigners and looting their property, even as president Jacob Zuma’s son risked further inflaming the situation as he Tuesday called for an end to “unnecessarily accommodating” foreign nationals.
Wide-scale looting continued across the townships in Durban in attacks that have been seen as fanned by recent anti-foreigner rhetoric by some leaders in the country.
Online news site News24 said “several people have been killed” and thousands more displaced, but said it was still struggling to verify the numbers.
The latest victim was a 14-year-old boy shot and killed in the KwaZulu-Natal town of Ntuzuma on Monday.
Violence has been largely confined to the south in Durban, where attacks on April 9 claimed four lives, but on Monday night spread to other areas in the port city.
South African police said they arrested 28 people suspected of involvement in a deadly looting spree of foreign-owned stores in the eastern KwaZulu-Natal province.
There were however reports that they were at times overwhelmed by the mobs. As officers battled to protect foreign nationals who desperately tried to salvage what was left of their belongings, locals forced their way into shops and made off with food and goods before setting the shops ablaze.
South Africa is struggling to contain an outbreak of violence that’s been directed against immigrants in a number of towns. At least five people have been killed and more than 200 arrested in Gauteng province, the country’s economic hub that includes Johannesburg and the capital, Pretoria.
As Africa’s most industrialised nation, it attracts thousands of foreigners every year, seeking refuge from poverty, economic crises, war and government persecution in their home countries. While the bulk of them are from elsewhere on the continent, such as Zimbabwe, Malawi, DR Congo, Somalia and Ethiopia, many come from Pakistan and India.
Violence against African immigrants in South Africa is common, with impoverished locals accusing foreigners of taking their jobs and business.
The wave of attacks and looting was triggered after a Somali shop owner shot and killed a 14-year-old boy during an alleged robbery in Soweto in January. It’s the worst anti- immigrant violence since 2008, when about 60 people were killed and about 50,000 displaced from their homes.
On Tuesday Edward Zuma weighed in again, just days after his father had spoken out for the first time against the attacks.
“I am not going to stop telling the truth. The government must stop running away from addressing this issue…” he said, according to News24.
“People think that I am being xenophobic but I am not, I am just trying to make a point that we have a problem.
The younger Zuma claimed he was only voicing his opinion as a South African citizen. “These are my personal views and I am sticking to what I said and I will die with it.”
He said the attacks were evidence that the country was sitting on a ticking time bomb, and called for those in the country illegally to either leave or present themselves for documentation.
“We accept foreign nationals that are in the country legally and contributing to the South African economy with their skills. But, we do not accept foreign nationals that shoot our mothers and sisters.”
The lack of documentation and the country’s porous borders has been blamed for rising crime. Zuma said his statements were directed at all foreigners, not just Africans
“They are also contributing to the problem… South Africans need to stop being apologetic, we appreciate what they did for us in the past but they should not take advantage.”
South Africa / UNHCR welcomes the response by government to xenophobia attacks
PRETORIA, South-Africa, April 14, 2015/African Press Organization (APO)/ — The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) is deeply concerned by the continued outbreaks of xenophobia that have been occurring around the country, especially those in Durban which have led to the displacement of many foreign families, including refugees and asylum seekers and welcomes the increased response from Government to address the issue. UNHCR staff and partners have been receiving reports from refugees all around the country that they are afraid to go about their daily lives for fear of being attacked. One foreign national employed as a doctor in Western Cape province told UNHCR officials that he was afraid to go to work in case something may happen to him.
“We welcome the public statements made by the President and senior government officials calling for an end to attacks on foreigners, including refugees and asylum seekers, said Clementine Nkweta-Salami, UNHCR’s Regional Representative for Southern Africa.
UNHCR is glad to see the increased police presence and the efforts being made to try to contain the violence and looting to date and encourages them to continue with their efforts to restore peace in the affected areas. UNHCR’s partners in Durban, Refugee Social Services and Lawyers for Human Rights, have been working with local authorities to ensure that assistance and services are provided to those displaced. UNHCR has also dispatched an assessment mission to Durban today.
“The vast majority of refugees and asylum seekers on arrival in the country present themselves to the authorities and are given documents that allow them to stay legally in the country. To lump them in the category of illegal migrants and or unlawful residents, is not only incorrect but serves to stigmatize them rather than to acknowledge that the circumstances of their plight requires that they be protected,” adds Nkweta-Salami. Following the events earlier this year in Soweto, UNHCR together with its civil society partners have been raising our concerns with the government in a number of fora.
UNHCR further urges refugees and foreign traders to abide by the laws governing the country and refrain from trying to take the law into their own hands.