Did you know?
- South Africa is ranked 55 out of 139 destinations in the world as a country rich in cultural resources.
- South Africa has a rich and diverse cultural heritage, which includes galleries, rock art centres, museums and cultural villages which showcase the traditions, lifestyle and value systems of indigenous cultural communities.
- The proportion of domestic travellers seeking cultural activities increased from 9% in 2007 to 19% in 2009.
- Tourism contributed an estimated 7,7% to South Africa’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP) in 2010.
- From January to April 2011 South Africa had 2 750 175 foreign tourist arrivals to South Africa, up 7,5% on the 2 558 715 recorded over the same period in 2010.
- Domestic tourists accounted for over 70% of all tourists in South Africa last year.
- More than 309 000 tourists visited South Africa to attend the World Cup in 2010, injecting over R3,6 billion into the South African economy in terms of spend.
World Tourism Day is celebrated globally on 27 September each year. As a proud South African, what site of interest would you recommend to a tourist visiting our beautiful land?